[Marble-devel] Marble features

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Mon May 19 20:45:05 UTC 2014

Hi Emma,

thanks, the snippet is fine on its own. We're already reading/writing
the time information from KML files which would be required to realize
that in Marble. The remaining part therefore is to respect the
information when rendering placemarks. That's pretty simple in a naive
approach (just check if the current timestamp from MarbleClock lies in
the boundary), but given the number of placemarks we have to deal with
might need something more involved.
Last but not least I'd like some redesign of our user interface for
controlling time. That might be less pressing for a 3rd party
application which provides its own logic. We have allocated some time
during Sanjiban's GSoC project to look into stuff like this, so
hopefully we'll make some progress on it soon. The coding period started
just today.

Regarding license fees, there are none. LGPL was chosen as a license to
allow commercial use, and we encourage doing so. Donations to KDE are
appreciated of course :-)
http://www.kde.org/community/donations/

On a totally unrelated note, the KML snippet below is not valid KML in a
strict sense [1]: There must not be spaces in between the values in
coordinates tags, i.e. it should be
<coordinates>4.018378,8.548439,0.0</coordinates>. Just like Google Earth
and possibly other software we work around it in Marble using
heuristics. That's simple for Point coordinates but can become ambiguous
for e.g. LineString ones given that altitude is an optional value. If
you have access to the sources, please change it not to write spaces :-)

Regards,
Dennis

[1] https://developers.google.com/kml/documentation/kmlreference?#point