[Marble-devel] Using marble to render PostGIS data in different Projections

Knut Krause knut.krause at lagom.de
Mon Feb 10 10:45:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a PostGIS database with geometries. Now I'd like to do some computation
on them. For my core algorithm I need the polygons in raster format. So I
would be great if I could somehow use marble to draw my geometries on a flat
surface like QImage. To show the result of my algorithm though I'd like to
render a path on a plain marble widget.

Is it possible to use marble for that? Right now I use GDAL to transform the
geometry from WKB to QPolygonF but that involeves a lot of number crunching
myself to get the positions right and I fear I'm not smart enough to cope with
projections correctly.

I thought something like

PostGIS -> <magic> -> GeoPainter -> QImage

would be great to render a set of geometries on an image as big as the
bounding box of the geometries. Anyone here an idea if this works?

Knut