[Marble-devel] Heads up: Directory structure changes and new build system options

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Sun Nov 3 15:08:11 UTC 2013

Hi,

latest master has some changes in the directory structure:

- All library files have been moved from src/lib to src/lib/marble
- The various applications have been moved to
  src/apps/{marble-kde,marble-qt,marble-mobile,marble-touch}

cmake now knows about two additional options:
- BUILD_MARBLE_EXAMPLES=YES/NO (default NO) compiles our tutorial C++
examples and installs them to share/apps/marble/$name
- BUILD_MARBLE_TOOLS=YES/NO (default NO) compiles tools for file format
conversions etc. They are not installed, but can be executed from the
build folder
Thanks to Bernhard for helping shape things up.

For developers I'd recommend to enable both BUILD_MARBLE_EXAMPLES and
BUILD_MARBLE_TOOLS in order to detect API changes early.
For distributions it could be interesting to enable
BUILD_MARBLE_EXAMPLES and ship them in a separate package.

I have more plans for similar changes:
- Move FindKDE4 call to apps/marble-kde and ensure the library
installation is identical regardless of whether KDE is installed on the
system. Remove the QTONLY option entirely (in favor of a local option in
apps/marble-kde to disable it).
- Limit directory depth in lib/marble/ to at most one additional level
(move marble/geodata/scene to marble/geoscene etc.) and install headers
in include/ with the same structure (i.e. introduce subdirs in
include/marble/).
- (in the long run) split up libmarblewidget into more libraries, like
libmarblecore, libmarblewidget.
However I'll wait for KDE/4.12 branching and will gather feedback before
working on that.

Regards,
Dennis