[Marble-devel] Obtaining time zone data through MarbleWidget

Akarsh Simha akarsh.simha at kdemail.net
Thu May 9 10:39:39 UTC 2013

Hi

> I intend to use MarbleWidget in KStars to replace our current
> "Geographic Location" tool.
>
> However, I would need to be able to obtain the time zone and DST rules
> for a given geographical location, in addition to the latitude and
> longitude. Looking at the documentation on techbase, I couldn't find
> out how to do this.

So, I tinkered around with MarbleWidget a bit today.

What I want to do is the following:

1. Allow the user to search for a city, just like in Marble

2. Alternately, allow the user to point to a location on the map

3. Obtain the following information about the "selected" point:

   1. Latitude / Longitude

   2. Name of the city, if the user selected a city

   3. Province, Country

   4. Time zone information and DST rules

   5. Possibly the altitude as well

4. Allow the user to add to the map his/her own locations (eg: maybe
   an observatory that is in the middle of nowhere) to the map.

5. Maybe maintain a list of favourite locations

What is the best way to do these with Marble's libraries?

[If you would like to see what exactly I intend to replace with
MarbleWidget, open up KStars and hit Ctrl + G]

TIA :)

Regards
Akarsh