[Marble-devel] GSOC Introduction

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 3 19:33:19 UTC 2013

Hi Mihai,

thanks for your introduction and welcome to Marble development :-)

On 04/01/2013 02:56 PM, Mihai Neacsu wrote:
> My name is Mihai Neacsu and I am studying Computer Science at
> Politehnica University of Bucharest in Romania. This summer I want to
> contribute and be a part of the Marble team.
>
> I've come to know about Marble from my brother, he uses Marble Touch
> on his N950 everyday because he is travelling a lot.
>
> I'd love to work on extending Marble capabilities and make it possible
> to syncronize a user's Marble instances. I love jogging in the morning
> and because I'm not studying in my hometown I have to rely on a map
> application in order to find a good place to run. I think it's a great
> idea to save tracks or routes for activities on a cloud space.

Yes, indeed. I'd love to see a mobile "workout" Marble activity or app
that saves tracks to owncloud, which can later be analyzed in Marble on
a desktop. That also calls for some nice related visualization tasks
like showing the speed or height along a track by color [0].

> I'm not new to the cloud syncronization theme. A few weeks ago I
> participated at a hackathon where I had the chance to work on building
> Android app that syncs taken photos with a cloud sharing service and
> posts a comment with the photo url on a Github related open issue.
> Right now at school, for one of our classes we have team project
> assignment and we chose to make a file sharing web application, we're
> using Python and Flask for the server side, but that's a whole
> different story, I'll share the link with you guys when it's done :D.
>
> C++ is my language of choice and I have used PyQt on Jeopy, an
> open-source quiz game that features trivia in computer science and it
> is used in some of our first year’s classes for the undergraduates
> student in order to help them recap course material. However I have
> never used Qt or Javascript but I'm absolutely sure it's not an issue
> catching up with them.
>
> I've just managed to compile Marble and it would great if you had
> suggestions for some entry-level bugs or assignments I should look into.

Earlier today I updated the "featured tasks" in [1] with GSoC specific
ones. The other tabs on that website have more tasks and bugs to work
on. If you find something interesting, give me a call to clear up the
details (ideally via IRC in #marble at Freenode, my nick is Earthwings.
Usually the fastest communication).

@other prospective GSoC students reading this: Please make sure to
introduce yourself here or via a mail to me or one of the other mentors
mentioned in [2]. As a bonus you get a lot more details in a private
mail :-)

Regards,
Dennis

[0] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=110130#p259669