[Marble-devel] GSOC Introduction

Mihai Neacsu mihai.mneacsu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:56:35 UTC 2013

Hello!

I know Google has not yet announced the list of organziations for this
year, but in the meantime I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Mihai Neacsu and I am studying Computer Science at Politehnica
University of Bucharest in Romania. This summer I want to contribute and be
a part of the Marble team.

I've come to know about Marble from my brother, he uses Marble Touch on his
N950 everyday because he is travelling a lot.

I'd love to work on extending Marble capabilities and make it possible to
syncronize a user's Marble instances. I love jogging in the morning and
because I'm not studying in my hometown I have to rely on a map application
in order to find a good place to run. I think it's a great idea to save
tracks or routes for activities on a cloud space.

I'm not new to the cloud syncronization theme. A few weeks ago I
participated at a hackathon where I had the chance to work on building
Android app that syncs taken photos with a cloud sharing service and posts
a comment with the photo url on a Github related open issue.
Right now at school, for one of our classes we have team project assignment
and we chose to make a file sharing web application, we're using Python and
Flask for the server side, but that's a whole different story, I'll share
the link with you guys when it's done :D.

C++ is my language of choice and I have used PyQt on Jeopy, an open-source
quiz game that features trivia in computer science and it is used in some
of our first year’s classes for the undergraduates student in order to help
them recap course material. However I have never used Qt or Javascript but
I'm absolutely sure it's not an issue catching up with them.

I've just managed to compile Marble and it would great if you had
suggestions for some entry-level bugs or assignments I should look into.

Best Regards,
Mihai Neacsu