[Marble-devel] New website content for marble.kde.org

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Mon Oct 29 21:51:04 UTC 2012

Hi Amit,

On 29.10.2012 09:40, Amit Chaudhuri wrote:
> ...browsing http://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php this morning I
> noticed that the .avi for the Jens-Michael's Marble Code Swarm seems
> to have died....shame it looked interesting from the thumbnail..

indeed... here's an updated one:
http://nienhueser.de/marble-globe/development.php

For the record, to create the videos:
- Generate activity.log from the marble sources: git log --name-status
--pretty=format:'%n------------------------------------------------------------------------%nr%h
| %ae | %ai (%aD) | x lines%nChanged paths:' > activity.log
- check out http://code.google.com/p/codeswarm/
- edit data/sample.config to your liking (disable legend, larger fonts,
adjust width/height, take snapshots, enable halos)
- execute run.sh
- convert resulting pngs to .webm and .mp4 for html5 compatible videos
[1] using e.g. ffmpeg or mencoder*

Regards,
Dennis

[1] http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp
* video conversion tools seem to have a bad habit of being buggy, badly
documented and ever-changing in their command line option
interpretation, lack sane defaults and produce misleading non-sense
output, so I spare the exact commands I ran here</rant>