[Marble-devel] web version

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Thu Nov 29 04:43:44 UTC 2012

Dear Haim,

That sounds interesting. I guess first and foremost we'd need to make up our
minds what a web version of Marble would look like and how it would fit
together with our current mission. After all Marble is a valuable brand
and the name Marble currently stands for a mission, a team and a code base
built on top of Qt.

A web version of Marble would surely differ hugely in terms of code base from
our current Qt / QML code. So what principles would be shared by a WebMarble
with our current team and codebase? This is really important to clarify in
advance. I suggest you read our age-old mission statement:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/GoMarble/Manifesto

It's still valid for the most part today. By reading that you can hopefully
draw conclusions how a "WebMarble" would fit into these principles. While it
wouldn't be based on Qt it could share other aspects, like:

- uses free software and promotes free maps
- "swiss army knife for maps"
- share map material
- ease of use
- easy to set up
- high code quality
- share review capabilities
- share algorithms and code design where possible
- share code and UI designs with Marble Touch ?
- modular

(any ideas for more?)

It would also be important to define what the primary focus of such a project
would be: Would it be a "Marble on diet" in terms of feature set for use on
webpages (e.g. our marble.kde.org web page)? How would a WebMarble be
complementary to our current offerings (Marble and Marble Touch)?

It's very important to have this discussed beforehand. It's also crucially
important that you work closely with our team.

Best Regards,
Torsten