[Marble-devel] Path to marble theme

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Wed Nov 21 12:49:49 UTC 2012

Hi Oleg,

On Mittwoch, 21. November 2012 11:48:27 Олег Любимов wrote:
> Hello Marble-developers.
>     I have build and install Marble on Windows7 x86. The marble themes were
> installed to C:\Program Files\marble\data\maps ... , but the tiles for this
>  themes were installed to
> C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\.marble\data\maps ... (only tiles
> without .dgml files). Is this a bug, or I did something wrong?

What you probably mean is that all the data that is installed goes to the
Installation directory above ("System Directory") while all the content that
is downloaded automatically goes into the user's "Local Directory".

That is the correct behavior. The tiles inside the user's directory are
considered a user-specific "cache".
You can however copy the tiles manually to the system directory.

>     Another my problem with marble - open themes in the MarbleWidget, when
> the themes are not in the "Local"(
> C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming\.marble\data\maps) or "System"
> (C:\Program Files\marble) dirs with marble data. Does Marble have any
> methods to open theme usign full path to the ".dgml" file, or I need to
> copy theme to the Marble dirs every time?

No there is currently no way to specify a full path. The only other way is to
specify the Marble Data Path (unfortunately the instructions for doing that
got wiped off during the move to the new website but I guess that this
information will get resurrected soonish). Basically you can provide the
Marble Data Path by passing a command line argument (--marbledatapath=)
or you can specify it during build time by specifying the cmake parameter.

BR,
Torsten