[Marble-devel] Opencaching plugin

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Nov 6 12:58:02 UTC 2012

Hi Anders,

On Dienstag, 6. November 2012 13:24:26 Anders Lund wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for updating the code for the plugin. It would  be nice if
> > the patches would get into master.
> I can clean up my patch (remove some of the unnessecary lines I disabled)
> and push to master, if desirable.

I think that would be great - currently it's not included with the build
because of the licensing issue. But it would be awesome if at one point all
issues would get resolved in a decent way and we could ship the plugin.
Therefore ensuring that it continues to build is good.

> That is what I found out... And the plugin does not seem to work with the
> swedish site (I just did a very short test).

Yes, because the API was specific to OC.de and was considered "private" IIRC.

> If the network will agree on an API, I think I can do the work, but it
> seems silly if it won't work in all sites. It would be smart if there
> would be a central place to get the data, rather than using different
> servers depending on location!

Indeed. On the other hand the data license differs from country to country. So
this would allow to "filter out" country providers if the data license is not
considered acceptable (At this point I don't know whether this is the case).

Still I agree that this whole situation is a bit of a mess (but it seems to
have improved from what it was 1-2 years ago)

BR,
Torsten