[Marble-devel] [opencaching.de #2737] Nutzung der opencaching.de XML API durch Marble

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Nov 6 12:42:37 UTC 2012

Hi Michael,

Sorry for reopening this issue ;-) It would be nice if all upcoming e-mails
would go to marble-devel at kde.org.

At the Marble project (http://edu.kde.org/marble) we are still looking for
some way to display geo caches using free access and ideally free data
(similar to what OpenStreetMap provides). Daniel Marth had created am
experimental plugin already but that relied on the old OpenCaching.de API
which had some non-free terms of use (and wasn't supposed to be used widely
IIRC). Therefore we never published that.

So we are right now looking into the ToS for usage with Marble again. We need
to have a look at the

- ToS of the API used
- and the data licensing

The ToS of the OKAPI seem to be fine to me. The data license seems to differ
from country to country which is rather unfortunate - even more so since for
some countries the data license is mixed with other service terms.

For us CC-by-SA would definetely be fine. Many of the other tems of use are a
bit of a mess or even non-free (such as CC-NC).

If we access the geo caches through the OKAPIs for each country is it
guaranteed that we will only download data that is licensed according to the
data license provided for that particular country?

Best Regards,
Torsten