[Marble-devel] Marble with offline OSM maps

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue May 15 12:58:15 UTC 2012

Hi Jeremie,

On Dienstag, 15. Mai 2012 14:29:15 Jeremie Scheer wrote:
> > You might want to default to Mercator projection in Marble since that
> > delivers the best speed.
> How can you do that ? Is there a method in the code to default to Mercator
> ?

See part 2 of the Tutorial I referenced in my previous mail:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/MarbleMarbleWidget

As you can see there is a line

 mapWidget->setProjection( Mercator );

which does this exactly.

> > It's trivially easy to preload the tiled bitmaps
>
> Where can you find tiled bitmaps from OSM on the Internet ? Or OSM files
> must be transformed to tiled bitmaps with Mapnik first ?

See the user documentation:

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeedu/marble/download-region.html

You can use the normal Marble client to download bitmap tile data right from
the OpenStreetMap servers.

Note that there are OSM server restrictions to the download of a single query
(Marble's UI will inform you about those).

Make sure that the hard disc cache is big enough so that Marble will not
automatically start to delete the data you are downloading. By default it
measures around 300 MB which you might want to increase depending on the
amount of data you want to keep:

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeedu/marble/configcacheproxy.html

The data for OSM will end up inside

~/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/openstreetmap

You can either copy it into the very same place on your target device - or -
you put it into the system wide place which might be e.g.:

/usr/local/share/marble/data/maps/earth/openstreetmap

(start Marble with "marble --debug-info" on the command line and look for the
first few lines of output which looks like this:
System Path: "/usr/local/share/apps/marble/data"
This will tell you the correct place for your system data where
"maps/earth/openstreetmap" needs to get created inside )

If you keep it in the home directory on the target device then you also need
to apply the cache limit settings on the MarbleWidget used on the device -
otherwise Marble will delete excessive data automatically. So putting it into
the System Path might be the better solution.

Of course the alternative would still be to create bitmap tiles via Mapnik on
demand on your own server. That would require some additional magic on your
own server however.

> Now if I have tiled bitmaps, how can I use them in Marble library being
> offline ?

You can use it right away if it's placed in the correct location on your hard
disc. See above. :-)

Best Regards,

Torsten