[Marble-devel] Plotting custom position data on MarbleWidget (via PositionProviderPlugin?)

Ian Holtham ian.holtham at srt-marine.com
Wed Mar 28 15:26:12 UTC 2012

Hello. I would like to be able to plot a track of position data (from a
custom GPS data source) onto a map displayed in MarbleWidget. Ideally I
would like the user to be able to hover over any point on the track and
get a display of the data (time, position, etc) at that point?

Could anyone let me know the best way to do this?

I have tried implementing my own PositionProviderPlugin and setting this
visible in the MarbleWidget:

Marble::MarbleModel* model = this->model();

model->positionTracking()->setPositionProviderPlugin( new
Marble::CustomPositionProvider() );

model->positionTracking()->setTrackVisible( true );

However when I run this, the widget only displays a small segment (say
30 degrees) of the map centred at the current position in the direction
given by the PositionProviderPlugin with the rest of the widget
remaining undrawn.

I am using a QT only build of the MarbleWidget (version 1.2) build on
Windows using Visual Studio 2010

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Ian Holtham

Software Engineer

Software Radio Technology plc

Wireless House

Westfield Industrial Estate

Midsomer Norton

Bath

England

BA3 4BS

Direct line +44 (0)1761 409 516

Office +44 (0)1761 409 500

Fax +44 (0)1761 410 093

www.srt-marine.com <http://www.srt-marine.com/>

Registered Office: Wireless House, Westfield Industrial Estate, Midsomer Norton, Bath BA3 4BS

The SRT plc group includes:

Software Radio Technology plc.  Registered in England No. 5459678

SRT Marine Technology Ltd.  Registered in England No. 4317661

The message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Software Radio Technology plc group.  It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof.  If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

Please Note: No commitment is or can be made by any employee of SRT on behalf of SRT for any goods or service unless a numbered and duly authorised SRT Purchase Order is first provided.