[Marble-devel] satellite view

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Mon Apr 23 09:21:51 UTC 2012

Hi Eildert,

great you like Marble! :-)

To our knowledge using Google satellite maps or Bing maps in Marble
violates their terms of service. Therefore we do not ship these map
themes. From a technical point of view however using them in Marble is
just two commands away for each (hint: clone what you like from [1] in
~/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/).

We are working on more detailed satellite maps that can be shipped with
Marble currently. Not the kind of resolution Google offers, but still
much better than our current satellite maps. Maybe Torsten can give a
status update on it here :)

Regards,
Dennis

[1] https://gitorious.org/marble-restricted-maps