[Marble-devel] Showing/editing the coord in bookmark editor; GeoDataCoordinates::fromString vs. toString; coordinates edit widget

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Sep 12 05:53:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sunday, 11. September 2011 22:47:53 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> I today got a geo coord from someone, so decided to enter it in Marble to
> see where the point is... First I failed to find a way to do that. It
> really is not obvious that one can enter a coord in the _Search_ field of
> the Navigation tool (only found that when I came across the code of the
> LatLonPlugin ;) ).

Well, would you be surprised if I told you that you can do the same in Google
Maps? And even in most other better maps applications?

Even worse: You can search _anything_ in Marble's Search field. Even
"www.kde.org" or the name of a geotagged Wikipedia article will create a
result.

It's similar to what plasma does with the runner concept.

> I was more expecting something like a "Go to" action.

We can have that. Let's just find a nice way in terms of UI to put it into the
user interface.

> To get a start I went to fix something which had annoyed me for some time,
> that is that the bookmark editor does not show the actual coord of the
> bookmark.
> Also added the option to edit the coord (e.g. if wrong or for the
> usecase when you got the coord passed from someone and enter it).

Awesome! Thanks!

> But unless I did something wrong I found out that:
> 	GeoDataCoordinates::fromString does not eat
> 	the output of GeoDataCoordinates::toString :(
>
> Is that known?

Yes. IIRC there is even a bug report mentioning that.

> Is that on purpose?

No, I believe it's an oversight.

> If not, is somebody working on it?

Nobody is working on this AFAIK. It would be great if you could look into it!
:-)

> Or
> should I (meh, no expert in parsing)?

Please do! :-)

> And that also affects the LatLonPlugin: if one enters a coord with secs
> that will not be parsed and accepted. Which I consider fail :/

Yes, that is fail. The are numerous ways to specify coordinates. Additionally
they get translated.  And we should handle them all.
But at least we should be able to parse our own output.

> Another question:
> Has anybody ever worked on a input widget for coordinates?

Have a look at

marble/src/plugins/designer/latloneditwidget

> Would you be interested in such a widget? (QWidget for now, do not know QML
> yet, no, don't want this a be good chance to learn, there will be other ;)
> ).

I think we have that already. See above.

> Third and last question for today:
> How do you handle patches? That is not mentioned on
> http://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php :)

Best place is reviewboard

https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/dashboard/