[Marble-devel] Showing/editing the coord in bookmark editor; GeoDataCoordinates::fromString vs. toString; coordinates edit widget

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sun Sep 11 20:47:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

first email on this list, hello everyone :)

I today got a geo coord from someone, so decided to enter it in Marble to see
where the point is... First I failed to find a way to do that. It really is
not obvious that one can enter a coord in the _Search_ field of the Navigation
tool (only found that when I came across the code of the LatLonPlugin ;) ).

I was more expecting something like a "Go to" action. So I did what I guess
you like most and checked-out and investigated the Marble code to write such a
plugin (Perhaps that non-obvious entering is a trick to get more users into
coding of Marble? ;) ).

To get a start I went to fix something which had annoyed me for some time,
that is that the bookmark editor does not show the actual coord of the
bookmark. Also added the option to edit the coord (e.g. if wrong or for the
usecase when you got the coord passed from someone and enter it).

But unless I did something wrong I found out that:
	GeoDataCoordinates::fromString does not eat
	the output of GeoDataCoordinates::toString :(

Is that known? Is that on purpose? If not, is somebody working on it? Or
should I (meh, no expert in parsing)?
And that also affects the LatLonPlugin: if one enters a coord with secs that
will not be parsed and accepted. Which I consider fail :/

Another question:
Has anybody ever worked on a input widget for coordinates? I quickly looked at
KStars and Digikam, but could not see a dedicated widget which also takes care
of correct input.
Would you be interested in such a widget? (QWidget for now, do not know QML
yet, no, don't want this a be good chance to learn, there will be other ;) ).

Third and last question for today:
How do you handle patches? That is not mentioned on
http://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php :)
Please find attached the patch I have done so far to allow editing of the
coord in the bookmark editor, any initial comments welcome!

Cheers
Friedrich