[Marble-devel] How to do a Plasma runner which only triggers once the query string is complete?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 20:34:30 UTC 2011

Ignore the first one, wrong keys pressed... now completely edited text:

Lundi, le 17 octobre 2011, à 20:52, Anders Lund a écrit:
> On Mandag den 17. oktober 2011, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
<strip>
> > Problem now is:
> > while Plasma runners try to resolve on every change of the entered string
> > as it seems, the Marble runners only try to resolve once Enter is
> > pressed, i.e. they only try to resolve for the full string (e.g. to
> > reduce traffic to and load on OSM servers)
> >
> > One solution would be to have some kind of "end" marker, so the Marble
> > runners would be only run once the query string to match has that "end"
> > marker. Does not feel to nice, needs learning of that end marker, so not
> > my favourite solution.
> >
> > Any other proposals? Did not find a similar runner yet which faces the
> > same problem, to copy from.
>
> What about time - just wait till the user stops typing for some period?

Interesting idea. Could work perhaps, if the timing is smartely done (like
measuring the typical time between entered chars)

Just, seems not be applyable at all here, as from what I saw so far the Plasma
runner does not get the information why no new matching was asked for:
Could be the user stopped typing, could be she canceled, could be she already
selected an entry from the offers. Last thing might happen in most of
the cases. And running in all these cases especially the online Marble runners
is not what we would like to do, I guess?

Cheers
Friedrich