[Marble-devel] Registering the mimetype application/gpx+xml? Icon for this mimetype (and kml)?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 19:01:33 UTC 2011

Hi,

tl;dr:
I want to have the mimetype application/gpx+xml registered in the system and
have a nice icon for it (and an icon also for kml, which is already registered
as mimetype).

BACKGROUND (can be skipped):
So I recently created some tracks (with good old N810 and Maemo Mapper) and
wanted to view the gpx files it saved with Marble. After all Marble has
application/gpx+xml noted as supported MimeType in marble.desktop and also has
the GpxRunner class.

But seems application/gpx+xml is not yet registered as mimetype in the
(operating) system, as Dolphin showed the gpx files to be just XML files, thus
also did not offer Marble as handler for them in the "Open with" menu (sure,
choosing Marble from within the "Other" option there works, but that I
consider a not-nice workaround). See also in the output of kbuildsycoca4:

KBuildServiceFactory::populateServiceTypes: "/home/koder/System/kde-
devel/share/applications/marble.desktop" specifies undefined
mimetype/servicetype "application/gpx+xml"

And indeed, there is no entry for the gpx format in the latest shared-mime-
info [smi], nor is there one in kdelibs/mimetypes/kde.xml.

[smi] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-
info/tree/freedesktop.org.xml.in

QUESTIONS:
* Has anybody ever tried to get that mimetype registered?
It should end up in shared-mime-info I think (after all
application/vnd.google-earth.kml+xml and application/vnd.google-earth.kmz
(yes, that not yet supported by Marble) are part of it). As a start, until
accepted there and part of release, it can become part of kdelibs' kde.xml (I
consider it even a fix for 4.7).
English Wikipedia names application/gpx+xml to be the Internet media type:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_eXchange_Format . How much basing is that for
that claim? Convention? Standard? But http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-
types/application/index.html does not have it.

* What should the definition of the mimetype be like?
So far I came up with this spec for which I would ask for inclusion in shared-
mime-info (and kdelibs as intermediate solution):

  <mime-type type="application/gpx+xml">
    <comment>GPX geographic data</comment>
    <acronym>GPX</acronym>
    <expanded-acronym>GPS eXchange Format</expanded-acronym>
    <sub-class-of type="application/xml"/>
    <glob pattern="*.gpx"/>
  </mime-type>

There is also the tag root-XML, to help identifying xml-based formats. Would
be
    <root-XML namespaceURI="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/0"
localName="gpx"/>
but only for version 1.0, not also 1.1. No idea how to support two versions.
Perhaps they also need to be two different mimetypes? Will ask once I approach
the people for the shared-mime-info inclusion.

* Which other important (FLOSS) programs or else is using this mimetype and
could/should give her comments on the mimetype spec of GPX? I think to
approach also TopoGrafix (anyone has a good contact?).

* Does Marble have their artist-in-town who would do a nice icon for this
document format which would be then used (tackat :) )?
There seems also none for kml, right? Or shall I ask better ask in the KDE
artists mailing list? A blank document with the marble icon on it might be a
start, unless someone can come up with a better visual term.

Cheers
Friedrich

PS: Marble is not listed at http://www.topografix.com/gpx_resources.asp, no
interest or no go?