[Marble-devel] import more data from gpx track

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Tue Oct 11 18:40:20 UTC 2011

Tirsdag den 11. oktober 2011 kl. 20:31:07 skrev Niko Sams:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 20:10, Anders Lund <anders at alweb.dk> wrote:
> > On Tirsdag den 11. oktober 2011, Niko Sams wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> gpx tracks can have time information in trkpt elements, even data from
> >> a heart rate monitor.
> >>
> >> Any idea how it could be imported - and represented in a GeoDocument?
> >
> > Placemark have a field for extra information, that can be used, so that
> > the data is available.
>
> How do you mean that - using GeoDataPlacemark instead of GeoDataLineString?

GeoDataLineString can only hold - a line with many positions. Fra from
interresting, when it comes to a track, there are times, course, speed,
sattelite data, lots of stuff. So yes, I think each point need a placemark in
order to hold all these data, and make interresting uses of them. Most outdoor
people would probably be interrested in a replay function and data
curves/histograms (speed, course, elevation, all sorts of more specialized
datas - you have heart rates, I have rudder angles, depths, compas courses,
wind data) and other analysis tools.

> > Next step is finding a way to display it, as part of
> > following a track, and maybe as a curve or histogram.
>
> That is what I'm working on... at least a small part.
>
> > I am working quite slowly on improving gpx support, still hoping that my
> > work will be allowed into marble at some point, so far I have code that
> > makes routes and waypoints display, but actually keeping extra bits is
> > important, for many reasons.
>
> do you have that code somewhere in a public repository?

Unfortunately not. I suppose I could use a "scratch repository" or something
in kde infrastructure? Git is still a challenge for me! But working with
someone on this would be nice indeed :)

--
Venlig hilsen,
Anders