[Marble-devel] Painting interactive geometric objects onto map

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sat Oct 1 19:17:40 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Saturday, 1. October 2011 17:38:48 Tom Grope wrote:
> I looked at the CollidingMice-Example
> (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/stable/graphicsview-collidingmice.html#mouse-class
> -definition) from Qt and they work there with an QGarphicsItem. Is it
> possible to draw an inherated instance of QGarphicsItem onto the
> marblemap?

QGraphicsItems are tied to screen coordinates, so this approach doesn't allow
for different projections (globe, mercator, plate carree).

So this is why GeoDataGraphicsItems are there: they have a geodetic API. See:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/GeoGraphicsViewOverview

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/GraphicsViewGeoParser (might be
slighlty out of date already)

The problem with GeoDataGraphicsItems is that there are still features missing
here and there.

> I also got the advice to look at GeoLineStringGraphicsItem, but is the
> GeoLineStringGraphicsItem not only a container? o_O

GeoDataLineString is the container. GeoDataLineStringGraphicsItem is graphical
represenation that can be associated.

Best Regards,

Torsten