[Marble-devel] Marble architecture analogy to QGraphicsView framework

Sun Aug 14 08:44:05 UTC 2011

On Sunday 14 Aug 2011 9:58:35 AM Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Hi Kishore,
>
> On Friday, 12. August 2011 18:32:10 you wrote:
> > > osmrender
> >
> > Interesting. It also seems to be in quite active development... In what
> > stage of development is it in... just out of curiosity? :)
>
> It's part of the Google Summer of Code 2011. Konstantin is doing some
> awesome work there. The whole project will end in a week. By that time the
> branch should get merged into master. So if this code is interesting for
> your usage and if you spot some ways for improvement I'm sure Konstantin
> and the rest of the Marble team would be very happy to see patches ;-)

I will be spending the next 3-4 weeks on the marble related part of our code
here at work. I would be happy to provide patches to marble where applicable.

> > That's nice to know. I have another reference!
> >
> > > IIRC Digikam does this exaclty.
> >
> > Wonderful news! :D I found no method I could to attach a RenderPlugin
> > but
> > ill browse through their sources to see how they do it. Thanks for the
> > tip!
> Disclaimer: Don't get your hopes too high: My distant memories about all the
> digikam stuff are 1-2 years old, so the whole approach and code may or may
> not be different now - or my mind might trick me altogether and they only
> used the LayerInterface approach.

I looked up their code lightly and notice that they have taken an approach
that completely abstracts the Marble API with a KGeoMap that allows using
either marble or a google based backed. I have to take a deeper look of their
marble backend implementation but it seems on first look that they create a
MarbleWidget instance each time (i.e. not reusing the MarbleModel).

> Anyways if you find a nice solution and if you feel to extend the Marble
> code or tutorial for this use case that would be great. Starting point
> would probably be here:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/LayerInterface
>
> I'm happy to see you back in the Marble universe! :-)
:)
--
Cheers!
Kishore