[Marble-devel] Re: Marble 1.1 released

Raphael Kubo da Costa kubito at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 20:34:28 CEST 2011

Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de> writes:

> On Tuesday, 19. April 2011 18:05:22 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
>> Are there any intentions of providing a tarball?
>
> I can do this if it's needed / beneficial. However the best solution is to
> check out the version  in marble-1.1 branch (or the tagged 1.1 version).
>
> Why would you want to have a tarball? :-)

>> Will other releases
>> outside the kdeedu release cycle happen in the future as well?

[snip]

> We don't have plans yet for a Marble 1.3 release between KDE 4.7 and KDE 4.8.
> But we wouldn't totally exclude it either.
>
> Why is this of interest for you? :-)

I asked both questions with my FreeBSD packager hat on. FreeBSD, like
Gentoo and other Linux distros, requires users to build things from
source, and there are policies preventing a Makefile from simply
retrieving things directly from git. So at least we the FreeBSD folks
will need to create a tarball for our own needs. Given we usually do not
need to do that, there are chances that screw-ups can occur.

The second question is also related to this: contrary to what is usual,
we already package marble separately from kdeedu, however we expect to
extract it from the kdeedu's tarball and build it with this packaging
structure in mind. If there are plans for other separate releases, it
means we will periodically need to change the build scripts to depend
and use kdeedu's tarball and sometimes use Marble's separate tarball.