[Marble-devel] altitude profiles

Niko Sams niko.sams at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:16:22 CEST 2010

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 14:17, Dennis Nienhüser <earthwings at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hi Niko,
>
> On 26.09.2010 11:48, Niko Sams wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to implement altitude profiles and would like to do a bit of
>> brainstorming beforehand.
>>

> great, I know some people are waiting for this to be implemented... :-)
>
>> * it should be an overlay widget showing the graph
>> * it should read data either from a GPX file (if avaliable) or use
>> locally avaliable SRTM data.
>>   using a webservice might also be an option, but I haven't found a good
>> one yet
>> * it should calculate statistics like total incline/decline
>> * it should be available for opened tracks and routing tracks
>>

> Workout [1] already implements statistics display for tracks, including
> altitudes if stored in the tracks. A good separation could be to use Marble
> for planning (including showing altitude profiles for routes) and Workout
> for track analysis (including showing altitude profiles for tracks).
I played with workout already - looks very good. But not really the right tool
for just track analysis imho.
If marble supports displaying tracks it should show the altitude
profile as well.

>> UI issues:
>> Where to choose the track to display?
>> - gpx files can contain multiple tracks, currently all are shown
>> - what happens if a track is opened and a route is shown
>>   Maybe a combobox where the track can be choosen
>>
>> Implementation issues:
>> * a new plugin that adds a info box like Routing does
>> * data available in the track can be read from GeoDataCoordinates and
>> displayed
>> * where to store altitudes that the plugin needs to figure out itself?
>>
>> Niko
>>

> I think we need a default-enabled --enableFileView with some UI improvements
> to the FileViewWidget. It could also add include the currently missing clear
> track / toggle track visibility buttons.
oh, I didn't know that there is already something - well it's quite hidden :D
That is basically what I was thinking about - just needs some polishing.

> Maybe we could generalize the overview map float item, which could display
> (alternatively)
> - the current position on the globe (currently implemented)
> - a top down view of the route and the current gps position
> - a side view (altitude profile) of the route
2+3 could be interesting at the same time?

I'll start with an own float item.

Niko