[Marble-devel] altitude profiles

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Sun Sep 26 14:17:54 CEST 2010

Hi Niko,

On 26.09.2010 11:48, Niko Sams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to implement altitude profiles and would like to do a bit of
> brainstorming beforehand.

great, I know some people are waiting for this to be implemented... :-)

> * it should be an overlay widget showing the graph
> * it should read data either from a GPX file (if avaliable) or use
> locally avaliable SRTM data.
>    using a webservice might also be an option, but I haven't found a good one yet
> * it should calculate statistics like total incline/decline
> * it should be available for opened tracks and routing tracks

Workout [1] already implements statistics display for tracks, including
altitudes if stored in the tracks. A good separation could be to use
Marble for planning (including showing altitude profiles for routes) and
Workout for track analysis (including showing altitude profiles for tracks).

> UI issues:
> Where to choose the track to display?
> - gpx files can contain multiple tracks, currently all are shown
> - what happens if a track is opened and a route is shown
>
> Maybe a combobox where the track can be choosen
>
> Implementation issues:
> * a new plugin that adds a info box like Routing does
> * data available in the track can be read from GeoDataCoordinates and displayed
> * where to store altitudes that the plugin needs to figure out itself?
>
> Niko

I think we need a default-enabled --enableFileView with some UI
improvements to the FileViewWidget. It could also add include the
currently missing clear track / toggle track visibility buttons.

Maybe we could generalize the overview map float item, which could
display (alternatively)
- the current position on the globe (currently implemented)
- a top down view of the route and the current gps position
- a side view (altitude profile) of the route

Regards,
Dennis

[1] http://blog.volker-lanz.de/tag/workout/