[Marble-devel] Marble Widget usage

Doug Penner darwinsurvivor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 04:38:32 CEST 2010

The application I am working on is actually a little more involved
than a simple map. My goal is to create an open source app that will
rival GSAK on all 3 major OS's (windows/mac/linux) since GSAK is a
paid app and only works (well) in windows.

I'm not sure about other geocaching websites, but groundspeak (owners
of geocaching.com) have clearly stated that application access to
their website (other than embedded web browsers) to download cache
information is in violation of their TOS. People have written page
scanners in the past and groundspeak has shut them down. I would not
recommend it.

The best bet (which I'm taking) is to have people do "pocket queries"
which download a bunch of caches to a gpx file, then load those into
their programs (that's how GSAK does it).

To improve the website, I would recommend a link to a page explaining
the marble-widget with some links to those tutorials you listed. The
only place I was able to find those tutorials (other than the email)
was the kde techbase page that lists the tutorials for all of kde.
Adding a mention of the #marble irc channel might help as well. Right
now only the #kdeedu channel is mentioned.

I was able to compile the tutorial examples just fine by using the
files that were installed to /usr/include/marble but trying to use the
svn lib folder resulted in compile errors (either missing moc_
instructions or missing icons). Is there anything particular I need to
do to get my application to compile on systems that do not have the
entire marble application installed.

I am also hoping to get the application working in Windows (currently
developing in Arch and testing in Ubuntu) and was wondering what kind
of problems I might run into with that. I read that the marble-qt
version did not do automatic map downloads, does this mean
openstreetmaps/etc will not work if I use the widget in a qt-only
application?

One of the things I was unable to accomplish with the other library I
was using (QMapWidget) was automatic resizing. My application has an
area split (with an adjustable splitter) with the map on one side. I
was unable to figure out how to get the map to fill the entire space
and have it resize when the window changed shape (resize event does
not take splitter into account) or when the splitter was moved.
Judging by the tutorials, it looks like marble-widget uses a
diffferent system for sizing, so I don't think it will really be an issue.

Thank you very much for the information, it has definitely gotten me
started at the very least.
~Doug Penner