[Marble-devel] Marble Widget usage

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sat Sep 11 09:19:01 CEST 2010

Hi Doug,

Am Samstag, 11. September 2010 08:46:11 schrieb Doug Penner:
> Hi, I am developing a geocaching application (qgeoview) in qt with the
> GPL3 license and would love to try the marble widget to see how it
> works compared to the other qt map widgets (of which I have sadly
> found very few).

Nice coincidence. I just looked on thursday into what it would take to create
a Geocaching plugin for Marble, which would maybe query the different online
caching sites and display the geocaches on the Marble map.
Maybe that could be nicely combined with our new Bookmark feature. So maybe
you could look into this ... ;-)

> The Marble homepage mentions a Marble Widget for developers, but I am
> unable to find a download for just the widget.

Ok, we'd like to improve our homepage. Any suggestions how we should maybe
improve it so that people can better find it? :-)

> I can only find the
> complete Marble and Marble-QT. I downloaded both sources and tried to
> find a marble-widget subfolder but found that MarbleWidget.h (and
> .cpp) were in the libs folder mixed with all sorts of other libraries.

In the source folder basically everything below marble/src/lib
is part of the widget. The MarbleWIdget class itself is located at

marble/src/lib/marblewidget.h

 MarbleWidget is basically comparable to a widget like QWebView. So it
contains a ready-made solution for providing everything maps: Parsing of
different file formats (GPX, KML, etc.), Location API, Plugins, etc.

You've probably followed http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php already for
compiling Marble, so the next step would be to follow the Tutorial:

There is a tutorial (with the API docs referenced) here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/MarbleCPlusPlus
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/MarbleMarbleWidget
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/MarbleSignalsSlots
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/MarbleGeoPainter
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/LayerInterface

For creating a GeoCaching plugin you might want to read about creating online
plugins:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/OnlineServices

You can also  join us on #marble on IRC for further questions. There's also a
Marble Facebook Group at

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=346064806033

> I'm sure I could (with some work) follow the #include's and find all
> the required files, but I was wondering if there was a separate
> download that contained "just" the widget.

The application itself is usually just a very thin layer above the widget.
The widget provides all the capabilities like location detection, GPX support,
KML support and lots of other stuff.

http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdeedu-apidocs/marble/html/

> My project is still in the very early stages (a few features
> implemented, replacing a few parts right now). You can check it out at
> http://code.google.com/p/qgeoview/ if you want to know more.

I'll give it a try. :-)

Best Regards,

Torsten