[Marble-devel] Re: marble country/timezone highlighting

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 3 19:25:04 CET 2010

On Thursday 28 October 2010 18:04:13 you wrote:
> Hello, John
>
> I've read your your ideas about highlighting in marble here
> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/marble-devel/2010-October/001611.html .
> I am also interested in implementing these features in marble. What is
> the current progress of the implementation? May I offer my help with
> the development?

Hi Fedor,

Sorry for the delay in replying, life's very busy right now.

Basically there is no progress as yet.  The Marble sprint is happening this
weekend at which I hope to learn what needs to be done and sort out a plan to
move it forward.  A lot of the underlying code is already there, it just needs
to be tied together. We also need more up-to-date data which is another
discussion point at the sprint.

Help would certainly be appreciated, as I'm not sure how much time I'll have
to actually code it, but I'm usually better at the analysis/design side anyway
:-)  It's probably too short notice, but I don't suppose you could get to
Nuremberg for this weekend?  See
http://community.kde.org/Multimedia/MarbleWeekend.

Basically, if you read the rest of that thread Torsten referenced, there's a
new vector drawing layer that is almost ready to be used with the country
vector data held in PNT file format.  This format is used as it's compact and
fast so is good for distributing with the base package.  Obviously we would
rather use this new vector layer than the old one, so first priority is
getting the last bugs there worked out.

The next priority is updating the country data, the current dataset is about
20 years out of date and the source of many complaints.  We have a better more
up-to-date source, we just need to convert it over, possibly in a new file
format even more efficient than PNT.  We would also need an index to link the
reference for each vector shape to the real world country / feature via ISO
codes or the like.  It's this attribute layer that I think will take the most
work.

After that, it should be straight forward to develop api to pass in a
country/feature code or feature code instead of the vector reference and have
the right vector shape(s) coloured or whatever.

Finally, once all that is done, we can get onto doing what I really want to
achieve, creating a stats theme that integrates the CIA World Fact Book and
other stats and using that as a new base for KGeography.

So, if that sounds like what you'd like to see, welcome aboard :-)  I guess
the place to start would be looking at the GeoPainter and GeoDataLineString
("libgeodata") vector layer, the PNT file format and the Natural Earth
dataset, and just the Marble architecture in general.  Any other discussions
should probably take place on the Marble mailing list.

I'll let you know what's happening after this weekend.

Cheers!

John.