[Marble-devel] New to Marble

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Mar 29 17:39:49 CEST 2010

Hi Paul,

On Sonntag 28 März 2010 20:38:10 Paul Carlisle wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I found Marble a few days ago, and have been reading up on it, as well as
> playing with simple test programs that explore it's settings. I have a
> couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there a definitive web source for development information, or is this
> mailing list the best compendium?

I suggest you have a look at

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble

and of course

http://edu.kde.org/marble

> 2) How do I change the default unit of measurement? An application we are
> thinking of using Marble for requires Imperial measurements, but there
> doesn't seem to be a function to set this as there is for angular units.

    MarbleLocale *marbleLocale = MarbleGlobal::getInstance()->locale();
    marbleLocale->setMeasureSystem( Imperial );

... should do IIRC.

> 3) We often have to specify both the latitude and longitude of the point
> the map is to be centered on, along with the breadth of the desired view.
> How would I set the zoom or distance factors to ensure that the minimum
> widget dimension (height or width) will span a given distance in, say,
> kilometers?

Does it really have to be kilometers?

There is

    void MarbleWidget::centerOn( const GeoDataLatLonBox& box, bool animated =
false );

(which unfortunately is not available in MarbleMap .. ).

> This is a wonderful library, and I am looking forward to replacing our
> current map visualization routines with it. Thanks to everyone who has
> worked to make this possible.

Thanks for using Marble :)