[Marble-devel] make marblewidget kde QTONLY

Fri Jan 22 11:52:07 CET 2010

On Friday 08 Jan 2010 1:31:47 pm Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010 04:16:58 Kishore wrote:
> > I have made some local modifications here and currently am able to build
> >
> >  the library independent from the application (I shall post patches
> >  here). The part i am unable to decide on is how data in handled and the
> >  plugins too. Do they all go with the library or the application.
>
> I've just updated the wiki
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/NewMarbleMoldules
>
> to be more clear about this:
>
> Basically there are three kinds of data:
>
> * essential data which comes with the libmarble library inside the package
> libmarble. * recommended data which comes as part of the libmarble library
> inside the package libmarble-data. * optional data which will be part of
> the kdeedu-marble-data package.
>
> The marbleqt and the marble (KDE) application are separate optional
> packages which depend on libmarble and libmarble-data.
>
> See the wiki for details.

I would like to look at this from use cases both in the interest of packaging
and third party applications using marblewidget. I list down some random
points in no specific order and would like to see comments on them.

1) MarbleWidget should by default store user data in ".local/share/marble" on
UNIX like platforms as defined by freedesktop.org instead of ".marble" as it
does currently. Optionally, an application using the widget should be able to
change this base location if it does not want to share its data with other
applications. The QDesktopServices class allows us to get the user data
directory in a cross platform way.

2) Plugins : Not all plugins developed for marblewidget are relevant to all
applications that use the widget. An application should be able to select
among the default plugins (provided by libmarble and libmarble-data packages)
and also provide its own which are not seen by other applications. Is this
currently possible?

3) Allow the application to provide its own DGML files to marblewidget which as
with plugins are not meant to show up with other applications such as marble
itself. This is my personal need as I may be using certain proprietary client
provided maps. Access may even need authentication but i have not yet looked
deeply into it yet.

4) As was discussed on IRC and the wiki it is clear that some minimal data
needs to go with libmarble while the rest goes with libmarble-data. If there
is some consensus on this then i could attempt the split.

I have been doing some work on this which can be seen at
http://gitorious.org/marble/marble/trees/marblewidget
--
Cheers!
Kishore