[Marble-devel] Creation of the Marble 1.1 branch, Binary Compatibility

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Sun Dec 26 17:44:13 CET 2010

Hi Everyone,

After the KDE 4.6 branch has been created (which holds what will be released
as Marble 1.0) I have now created a Marble 1.1 branch:

svn+ssh://svn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/marble/marble-1.1

Current trunk will become Marble 1.2 which will be released together with KDE
4.7.
But have received so many new features recently. Some of them are even crucial
to be released soon. So we decided to introduce an interim release between KDE
4.6 and KDE 4.7:

January 26, 2011: KDE 4.6 Release, Marble 1.0. All subsequent releases that
get released with KDE 4.6.1, 4.6.2, etc. will be bugfix releases only and will
have the version numbers 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc.. Marble 1.0 is released with
libmarblewidget 0.11.

March(?) 2011: Marble 1.1, independent of KDE schedule. Will have the results
of Google GCI and other new features. Marble 1.1 will come with
libmarblewidget 0.11 which is used in Marble 1.0 already.

July(?) 2011: KDE 4.7 Release, Marble 1.2, comes with libmarblewidget 0.12

Currently we plan that the Marble 1.1 release will be binary compatible with
Marble 1.0 / KDE 4.6.
We need to figure out how we want to treat translations: The current idea is
to take the existing ones by that time from trunk.

So if you have new features to commit that involve string changes and that are
binary compatible with KDE 4.6 please don't forget to backport them to
marble-1.1 branch.

Thanks,