[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 23:05:14 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there a list available of APIs and services that OSM provides which
> are
> > considered "enterprise ready"? In terms of  "enterprise ready" I'd expect
> > few commitments to be made, most importantly:
>
> i don't think any of the services OSM provides are "enterprise ready".
> OSM runs these services as aids to mapping and to show what can be
> done with the data. all of the software used to run OSM services is
> free, so any enterprise needing those services can run them itself.

Matt, my calculations show that running such services is an extremely cheap
way of improving the OSM database. Serving a query can cost as little as
0.00001 cent. So if there is just a one percent chance that the data
underlying the query is wrong and if only 1 in 100 users actually decides to
fix the data, then the cost to fix one mistake is still less than one cent.
Compare that to the fuel cost of someone driving just one block to capture
an unnamed street.

> alternatively, a commercial service from one of the companies selling
> OSM-based services might be willing to give an "enterprise" guarantee.

Let me just mention to Torsten that you have conflict of interest here: Your
employer is such a company.

Torsten, I think the option you would be more interested in would be to run
the software on your own servers, or to collaborate with the providers of
such services that use open source software.