[Marble-devel] [OSM-dev] NOTICE: gazetteer.osm.org being retired

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 22:05:59 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de> wrote:
> Would there be a way of leaving nominatim support intact via the given API
> just with more limited capabilities (so that it still works with reduced
> quality and taking less hardware resources)?

nominatim will continue to work and if someone were to write a
forwarding service which talks namefinder protocol, it could provide a
stop-gap.

> Is there a low traffic OSM announcement list that provides announcements like
> these for people who rely on OpenStreetMap services?

there is an announce list, but for development announcements like this
one, this dev list is the best place.

> Is there a list available of APIs and services that OSM provides which are
> considered "enterprise ready"? In terms of  "enterprise ready" I'd expect a
> few commitments to be made, most importantly:

i don't think any of the services OSM provides are "enterprise ready".
OSM runs these services as aids to mapping and to show what can be
done with the data. all of the software used to run OSM services is
free, so any enterprise needing those services can run them itself.
alternatively, a commercial service from one of the companies selling
OSM-based services might be willing to give an "enterprise" guarantee.

cheers,

matt