[Marble-devel] [Mockup] Configurable Route Profiles

Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 14:00:07 CEST 2010

2010/8/6 Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de>:

> Hi,
>
> Could you describe a bit more in detail which use cases you are trying to
> address? Who is the target user of these kinds of settings?
> Shouldn't the routing plugin already indicate what capabilities there are?

Hi!

I usually just follow this list roughly, but I think this would be a great Idea.

For example, in the future there could be more specialized online
routing services based on OSM data that provide only one very
specialized mode of transport.

For example: hiking - avoiding built-up areas, anything covered with
plaster and asphalt and providing routes along narrow, unpaved paths
and tracks with tracktype>=2.

Second example: http://openmtbmap.org does already provide a routable
mountainbiking map for garmin devices that gives routing based on type
of track, surface, incline(both ways) and a "skill rating" from OSM
data. Maybe this and its cousin http://www.velomap.org (for on road
cycling) could be a webservice one day.

The university of Bonn even had (or has) a webservice for wheelchair
routing running on OSM data.

A user could then use these services for foot and bicycle routing and
rely on one of the "big" routing services for car routing (Or, even
better, create new profiles for these specialized services).

Btw, I had a look at the current version of marble and it's just great
to see the routing feature in action! Great work! :-)

-Martin