[Marble-devel] Routing in marble

Dennis Nienhüser earthwings at gentoo.org
Wed Apr 14 21:49:38 CEST 2010

Hi Arnd,

Arnd Baecker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the new routing functionality in marble is absolutely fantastic!

nice to hear :-)
> A few comments/suggestions
> a) Currently points can be added/moved also using the middle and right
>     mouse button.
>     This can lead to accidentally adding/moving points when zooming in/out.
>     I think it would be better to just  use the left mouse button for that
>     and ignore the other mouse buttons.

True, fixed in trunk.

> b) Both start and destination should be visible from the beginning,
>     including the button to select the points via the mouse.
>     (Then the "Add destination" could be removed).
>
> c) The button to remove a point might be better positioned next to the
>     label: the reason is that usually (at least on small screens) only
>     a part of left side bar is visible, so that the
>     button to remove a point can only be reached after scrolling.

We had the idea of merging routing and searching to one widget. It's not
fully finished and we need to discuss it a bit more. The small screen
modifications need some discussion as well (ideally the sidebar would
not be needed on small screen devices).

> d) I would prefer that no centering takes after the route
>     computation/update (In particular if one makes fine adjustments
>     in some part of the route one has to zoom in again).

Good point, although the initial adjustments make sense imho. I changed
it in trunk to only update the viewport if you click on the Get
Directions button, while changes to the route directly in the map do not
trigger zoom/center changes anymore. I think that mostly matches what
one expects, please give it a try.

> e) After adding a point, it only becomes visible after moving the map
>     (or a redraw of the whole window).

True, fixed.

> f) A button to save the result as gpx file would be fantastic!

Yes, on my TODO list :-)

Regards,
Dennis