[Marble-devel] OSM looking sharp

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Thu Sep 10 14:46:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am Donnerstag 10 September 2009 14:15:56 schrieb Bernhard Beschow:
> On Monday 07 September 2009 12:07:18 Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Regarding the improved-scrolling branch, the experiment turned out to be a
>  little bit too slow. The problem is that for each movement that involves
>  both dimensions, two wheel events are sent, one per dimension. I'm still
>  looking for a solution here.
>
> What about the cleanup-branch? Is it okay to touch exported API?

Yes. We only have a commitment that we don't change the API and BC within
bugfixing releases. E.g.:

0.8.0, 0.8.1, 0.8.2, -> .... have a compatible API and are BC.

0.8.x -> 0.9.0  ... breaks the API (although we try to keep the breakage
small, especially for often used stuff) and it breaks BC

0.9.0, 0.9.1, 0.9.2, -> .... have a compatible API and are BC.

This guarantees that you don't have to e.g. create new packages for
Digikam for KDE 4.3.2 (=Marble 0.8.2) just because the Marble package has
changed.
For KDE 4.4 (=Marble 0.9) KDE package updates for all major applications are
likely anyways so it's not as much of an issue.

> > Very Interesting. If I understand that correctly then this allows to load
> > tiles that are provided using the Url scheme that Google Maps is using.
> > Although it's legally not possible for us to ship Marble with Google Maps
> > data it's at least very cool to have it technically supported.
>
> Technically, that's supported, yes. Moreover, the Openstreetmap URL scheme
>  is now a special case of the custom URL scheme, which implies it could be
>  dropped.

Great, I'm curious to see how this got implemented.
Maybe you could put up your patches on the reviewboard so that we don't need
to check out the git repository  ;-) ?

> This brings me to another point: Since the local storage layout is
>  orthogonal to the URL scheme,

Huh? That would be new to me. In the past we always made sure that the local
"cache" would basically locally "rebuild" the whole directory structure that
is present on the server. Have your patches changed that? Or do I understand
something wrong?

>  concepts. It should be possible to store tiles from URL scheme X into
>  storage scheme Y. This is very important when it comes to sharing data
>  with other applications.

Well, that would require retiling and would open a can of worms ... I also
don't see that as a primary focus for Marble but of course if somebody feels
like implementing that I won't stop him ... ;-)  .