[Marble-devel] OSM looking sharp

Bernhard Beschow bbeschow at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 10 14:15:56 CEST 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009 12:07:18 Torsten Rahn wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> Sounds like you made great progress in the meantime :-)

Yeah. Still, the sharp-osm branch is quiet a hack, so I'm looking for other ways to implement it. Maybe I can get rid of the layout-element we introduced at GCDS altogether.

> Am Samstag 05 September 2009 10:47:30 schrieb Bernhard Beschow:
> > Notice also the other branches, especially the "cleanup" branch and the
> >  "bugfix" branch. The improved-scrolling branch contains an experiment
> >  where the map can be moved using two fingers via touchpad (if the driver
> >  supports multi-touch).
>
> Cool. Do you feel that this is production ready and should get applied to
> master^WSVN trunk?

The bug fixes I consider production ready such that they can be applied to trunk. Unfortunately, the fix which was supposed to prevent marble to "forget" already downloaded tiles doesn't cure that particular problem. Still, it helps when a local tile got somehow corrupted, as it schedules it for download again.

Regarding the improved-scrolling branch, the experiment turned out to be a little bit too slow. The problem is that for each movement that involves both dimensions, two wheel events are sent, one per dimension. I'm still looking for a solution here.

What about the cleanup-branch? Is it okay to touch exported API?

> >  The custom-storage plus the restricted-maps branch
> >  add support for google map tiles.
>
> Very Interesting. If I understand that correctly then this allows to load
> tiles that are provided using the Url scheme that Google Maps is using.
> Although it's legally not possible for us to ship Marble with Google Maps
> data it's at least very cool to have it technically supported.

Technically, that's supported, yes. Moreover, the Openstreetmap URL scheme is now a special case of the custom URL scheme, which implies it could be dropped.

This brings me to another point: Since the local storage layout is orthogonal to the URL scheme, it would make sense to split these two concepts. It should be possible to store tiles from URL scheme X into storage scheme Y. This is very important when it comes to sharing data with other applications.

> > That's the work I've done so far on Marble.
>
> Sounds awesome. I'll try to check out your git repository later today ...
>
> >  Although OSM looks quiet sharp now, there are still some minor artifacts.
> >  Probably due to rounding errors, some lines get duplicated while others
> >  get skipped.
>
> Yes, for "High Quality" this even has got some "optimization" reasons.
>
> >  For this reason, and for performance reasons, I propose
> >  optimized code paths for cases where the source projection equals the
> >  target projection. The idea would be that the tiles knew their source
> >  projection and had (virtual) methods for each target projection. Are there
> >  any such plans already?
>
> There are some plans and ideas how to implement this. I need some time to
> recall my latest thoughts on this. Will get in touch with you later today or
> tomorrow.

Okay, I'm looking forward to your ideas!

Greetings,
Bernhard