[Marble-devel] [Need Help] New Project Idea

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Tue Mar 17 21:37:41 CET 2009

Hi & Welcome!

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 17:37:17 gaurav gupta wrote:
> I am new to open source development and marble and going through Qt. I have
> a project idea in my mind, but don,t have any idea how to start with it. So
> I want help of you people. Basically I want to add some more features in
> marble

That's a good idea :-)
Have you looked at:

http://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php

already?

> 1. One can zoom in and zoom out to a particular location and can tag that
> location.

So you basically want to be able to create a new placemark.

For that to happen it would be nice if there was a toolbar button that the
user could press. Afterwards he'd set the placemark and (maybe on right click
onto the placemark) he would get a dialog where he could add all kinds of
multimedia content.

Our internal data structure is modelled after KML:

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kmlreference.html

Just have a look at the directory

marble/src/lib/geodata/data

In there you'll find lots of classes prefixed with "GeoData" which resemble the
KML data structure -- e.g. GeoDataPlacemark which would be the class you'd
need to store the placemark and maybe some pointers to the MetaData.

So the foundation for this is there already. We just need your patch ;-)

What needs to be  implemented in addition is the ability to add new placemarks
to Marble's model (and save them). Patrick (on IRC "SaroEngels") can maybe
help you to get started.