[Marble-devel] GPS

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon Mar 2 11:37:38 CET 2009

In an interesting twist of fate, I have been asked by a company to improve the
support for GPS in Marble. Possibly it will also involve improving the user
interaction since this will be used for a navigation aid in areoplanes.
NOTE: This is not yet final, so don't get your hopes up too high.

I investigated the GPS code and found that it is using the AbstractLayer
classes and friends and that those have been marked as obsolete. Since this
is pretty involved, I played with the thought to reimplement the whole thing
instead of fixing the problems (of course snarfing the useful parts like
connection to gpsd, etc).

So now I am thinking of how to do it instead, now that we have better
infrastructure in marble for various things. One way would be to write it as
a plugin, which would separate it nicely. Any ideas of the best way to
integrate GPS architecturally?

	-Inge