[Marble-devel] First moon shot and tile scripts

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Sat Oct 25 17:46:41 CEST 2008

Hi,

at

http://developer.kde.org/~tackat/moon/marblemoon1.jpg
http://developer.kde.org/~tackat/moon/marblemoon2.jpg

you'll find two teaser screenshots of the "Moon mode" that I'm working on.
It's centered on the well known crater Tycho that is famous for its ray system
that can be seen using binoculars already.

The current Moon view in Marble is nowhere near complete and the final look is
likely to be completely different as I plan to use some more optimized
clementine map material for creating the final tiles. It's also not in SVN yet.

I took the data for this first attempt from

http://webgis.wr.usgs.gov/pigwad/down/moon_warp_clementine_750nm_basemap.htm

and

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/jsp/FeatureTypes2.jsp?system=Earth&body=Moon&systemID=3&bodyID=11

I then created some scripts which make use of the free "vips" / "nip2" image
tools that came with the distribution I'm using

I've attached the scripts to this mail. They are not documented and do some
non-generic stuff that is specific to the original data I had been using (but
maybe they are useful for Danuvius as an example if he's still working on his
tiles ... ).

I'll download the optimized source data next and will then optimize, correct
and document the scripts during the "second run".

Have Fun,