[Marble-devel] custom marble map trouble

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Thu Oct 23 11:53:32 CEST 2008

Hi again,

for scaling and cropping you absolutely want to install  the "nip2" tool. :-)
It also installs the vips-library. These tools are amazingly fast (read: what
took me _hours_ using image/graphicsmagick takes _seconds_ using vips).
And they make dealing with huge images an acceptable task.

The interface is a bit non-intuitive imho (and the "Create tiles" menu item
seemed to be broken in the Ubuntu Hardy packages that I installed).

However I recommend that you look into the "vips" command afterwards: E.g.

vips im_affine clem_uvvis_bmap_N15_225_warp.tif moon_N15_225.tif 0.791992 0 0
0.791992 0 0 0 0 7200 7200

scales a 9091x9091 image by a factor of 0.79 down to 7200x7200 using bilinear
interpolation (unfortunately bicubic interpolation doesn't exist there).
Likewise there's also a command to crop. Use im_affine instead of im_shrink if
you want to have at least bilinear antialiasing ( im_shrink doesn't do
antialiasing / resampling ). More information in the man pages.

The documentation is not nearly as nice as the one for the magick tools but
it's really a huge time saver when dealing with big images!

If you want to stick to imagemagick/graphicsmagick I recommend that you look
at the "-limit" option as this will keep the load of the computer low (and
prevents endless swapping).

Best Regards,
Torsten