[Marble-devel] a question

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Sun Nov 30 08:49:14 CET 2008

Hi,

On Saturday 29 November 2008 23:24:02 Steve Wright wrote:
> But I would like to use it for something that it was initially designed
> for, maybe.  I would like to use it as replacement for power point
> presentations.

I'm sure the KPresenter guys are going to become nervous now ;-)

> What I would need to be able to do is add my own
> locations, like you have with cities, and add in my own data and Wiki
> information.  I am the manager of a service department and I present
> data weekly about warranties, product failures based upon location and
> distributor.  Being able to rotate the globe to a geographical region
> and then zoom in on specific areas and even be able to present data
> about specific distributors would be cooler than cool, and easier for my
> audience (the management team) to get the picture of what is going on.
> So, is it possible for me to add locations, location data, and Wiki
> data?

Unfortunately not yet. We plan to have this feature in Marble 0.8 (for KDE
4.3). With the current functionality that Marble offers already it will be
pretty easy to add this feature to our source code.

However there is a solution that almost fits your requirements if you don't
mind some technical work:

Currently the only thing you can do is creating a KML file:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KML

You'd create placemarks and you'd add a description for each placemark.
If you load this KML file Marble will display these placemarks including the
description. However this is something you'd need to do in a text editor as
there is no GUI there yet to do this in an easy and convenient way -- that
part will only be there in Marble 0.8.

Best Regards,

Torsten Rahn