[Marble-devel] Mercator projection and some related issues

Carlos Licea carlos_licea at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 07:29:45 CET 2008

Hello Guys:
    Well I've been kind of busy because I've just got back to school so
I don't have that much time anymore, fortunately it's still too early to
get homework :), so here I am.
    Well I've committed the initial Mercator projection, actually just a
line but I didn't feel confident to commit some other stuff i have until
i know I'm on the clear,  so the texture is loaded with the new method
but i still have to write/upload the code in the rest of the needed
places. It should be easy. However some concerns arose for me:
        1) There are two ways of checking in
FlatScanlineTextureMapper.cpp if we're painting a Mercator projection.
Either every time inside the outer for which will look nicer but will
have a penalty in the performance (an if evaluated a couple of thousands
of times, it has to have an impact) or the verbose way: check what
projection are we doing and do the "for" accordingly. What should we do?
        2)Is this really Mercator projection? it looks at least... weird
for me. Please give it a look.
        3)We need to introduce a way in the methods so that we can know
if we can represent a given point with the current projection, say
anything upper than 85 degrees cannot be represented in Mercator
projection so all the nodes above that point should not be painted and
skipped somehow. I think we might return a 'true' or 'false' at the
method 'geoCoordinates' so to react properly.
    So, what do you think we should do?