[Marble-devel] Feature request: full metric support

Dennis P dennis_p at fastmail.fm
Thu Nov 1 20:13:03 CET 2007

Op donderdag 1 november 2007 19:02, schreef u:

> Thanks for your indepth explanations. Indeed it would be a nice addition to
> Marble.

Since you folks already programmed Marble I realized my explanation may have
been a bit too wordy and what you really wanted was a more compact rule set
like this to use for reference:
In UTM x and y notation the x value is the two digit zone number followed by
the number 500000 plus (when east) or minus (when west) the distance on the
WGS 84 marble surface towards the zone (which is 6 degrees wide out of 360)
center line in m. Zone 01 (out of 60, counting upward towards the east) its
center line equals the pole to pole meridian of 177 degree west. The y value
is 10000000 (the y value of the equator) plus (when north) or minus (when
south of the equator) the distance in m to the equator on the WGS 84 marble
surface.

> I guess we wouldn't need to change any internal code as this looks just like
> a different form of Notation.
> Are you good at coding?

No, I can't really code that's why I spend my time on thinking up a GUI for
this which I showed in the monospaced lines. I must correct the "Altitude
= ... km" which I inserted 3 times in the 3 line interface which doesn't make
sense as it refers to the viewing altitude and not a z offset to WGS 84, so 1
would do.

I noticed you think of this as advanced while here all our maps are 100%
metric and people are at a loss when seeing latitude and longitude. In fact
most consider themselves "lost" when the car system doesn't suggest
alternative routes automatically or shows recognizable street name plans.

Instead of being considered advanced this would rather make Marble the first
user friendly system. :-)

Dennis Pennekamp