[Marble-devel] Feature request: full metric support

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Nov 1 19:02:39 CET 2007

Hi Dennis,

On Thursday 01 November 2007 10:56:37 Dennis P wrote:
> Feature request: full metric support

I like to hear about feature requests. :-)
That being said I think we'll only be able to implement Inch and UTM for the
next version after KDE 4.0 is done.
I think we need to hide that "expert option" for UTM somewhere in the settings
dialog which I plan to add for the next version of Marble. But I'm definetely
interested in providing it.

[...]
> Of course usage of miles, latitudes and longitudes will not go away so one
> should be able to switch between them and the metric system, for example by
> clicking the "km" displayed for Altitude Marble could switch to imperial.
> It would also be nice if you could edit the fields in the statusbar, no
> wait, making Marble the first free metric navigation tool would be awesome
> enough already, thanks for your attention programmers of Marble.

Thanks for your indepth explanations. Indeed it would be a nice addition to
Marble.
I guess we wouldn't need to change any internal code as this looks just like a
different form of Notation. Right now we only offer

    enum Notation{Decimal, DMS};

in

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdeedu/marble/src/lib/GeoPoint.h?revision=714771&view=markup

Would it be appropriate to add UTM there for a start?

 Are you good at coding? I guess it would mostly be about adding changes in
the GeoPoint class.  So maybe you could provide us a patch given your
extensive knowledge about the topic?

I'm not too familiar with UTM (I have read a bit about it before you had
started this thread, but that's about all). What do other people on this list
think (Andrew ... ? , Ingwa ... ?) ?

Torsten