[Marble-devel] features

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Tue Aug 21 16:56:22 CEST 2007

On 8/21/07, Inge Wallin <inge at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 15:00, Agustin Benito wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > is it possible to associate a link to any coordenates in Marble? If so, it
> > is a good start to do what Google earth allows by associating pictures to
> > places. We can associate blogs, web pages, archives and other stuffs with
> > marble.
>
> It's an interesting idea, but how do you envision to do this association?
> What marble needs is a way to get a position (lon, lat) and possibly a text
> and/or image or icon to display with it.  What would suit your needs best?
> DBUS commands? command line arguments? files? a server?  Any and all of these
> are possible, but what would suit your needs best right now?

Wouldn't KML support address this? KML would designate a geographic
location (point, line, polygon, etc.), description, title, and can
include a link to an external resource (such as an HTML representation
of the location, i.e. a blog post)

GeoRSS support would be better for news feeds (or anything with a
primarily time-based, updating component)

>         -Inge
>
> --
> Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
>                           |      "After three days without programming,     |
> inge at lysator.liu.se       |       life becomes meaningless."                |
>                           | Geoffrey James: The Tao of Programming.         |

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W
http://highearthorbit.com              Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Introduction to Neogeography - http://oreilly.com/catalog/neogeography