[Marble-devel] Fwd: Re: [kde-edu]: Marble 0.5: The Road ahead

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Mon Aug 20 15:35:04 CEST 2007

On 8/20/07, Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn at credativ.de> wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2007 14:42:23 Andrew Turner wrote:
> > On 8/20/07, Torsten Rahn <torsten.rahn at credativ.de> wrote:
> > I believe you've all seen GeoClue:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/GeoClue
>
> Well, we've seen it. Afaik the GeoClue project was born during the Boston
> Desktop Summit which happened several months after we had suggested exactly
> the same ideas (interestingly enough down to the same wording being used ;-)
> at our aKademy meeting. Marble (earlier called "Globepedia") was the result
> with the map widget being the part of the framework we have put in most of
> the efforts so far.

I wasn't at the Summit - and came on later because I believed in the
goals of the project and its applicability to multiple devices,
applications, OS's. So I can't speak for how the 'wording' was made.

> From what I have seen there is pretty little code in GeoClue so far (at least
> compared to the 30.000 lines of code that we have invested into Marble so
> far).

Ok, my email wasn't meant to be a "challenge" or in some way compete
with Marble. I was merely pointing out that GeoClue exists and already
handles the features that were being talked about being implemented
for handling geolocation.

As far as "pretty little code" - I don't think LOC really account for
quality. The question should be - does it do the features we
want/need?

From my point of view, Marble has a different primary purpose:
visualization of geography and geographic data. GeoClue is meant to be
a system service for providing location. Building geolocation into
Marble itself seems like a mixing of purposes - but that's just my
opinion.

> What I'd be fairly interested in would be agreeing on common (D-BUS)
> interfaces and stuff that is not related to actual source code. That way
> people could easily choose between Marble and GeoClue as a possible geo
> services provider.

GeoClue has a stable set of D-BUS interfaces from Backends to GeoClue
Master, and from Master to Client applications (like Marble could be).
I believe this is in the process of being documented by the Google SoC
student - now that the implementation is finished and working for the
current version.

Marble Dev feedback would be welcome - and yes you are free to
implement your own version of a 'master' or backends. A common D-BUS
interface would keep things interoperable regardless of implementation
options.

I'd also like to say - development doesn't have to be a competition.
We're all working towards the same goals, and often time/resources can
be limted - especially with open-source/free development. Sharing
implementation and using existing components as they are useful is
beneficial to everyone.

Besides, I'm a Mac desktop user, so I'm not beholden to KDE or GNOME 'camps'. :)

> > The point being, instead of maintaining GPS, IP, and implementing
> > numerous other geolocation methods - it may be worthwhile to see about
> > using GeoClue - or at least weighing in about what you would like to
> > see in it to make it useful to Marble.
>
> At the current early stage of both projects I don't think it's necessary (at
> least not for 0.5 and 0.6 to decide on the backend). I don't exclude that we
> might use GeoClue later on but until stuff has matured I think we can live
> with friendly co-opetition.
>
> Torsten
>
> > Andrew

> --
>  Torsten Rahn
>
>  Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192
>
> credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
> Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
> Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz

Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W
http://highearthorbit.com              Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Introduction to Neogeography - http://oreilly.com/catalog/neogeography