Warning message if clangd not found not displayed ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Oct 2 13:23:34 BST 2022

On Mittwoch, 28. September 2022 00:39:07 CEST Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I digged a bit into my clangd problems, and got a little bit further.
> If clangd is not installed (it doesn't crash anymore, I think it did in
> older versions, that's good :-) ),
> In LSPClientServerManagerImpl::_findServer() it ends up in the branch
> "we didn't find the server at all!", where a warning should be displayed
> using showMessage(), but I can't see the warning. "LSP Client" -> "More
> Options" -> "Show Messages" is checked.
> Where should the message appear ?

ok, I found it. The message that clangd could not be started is as a warning
in the "Output" tab, which I usually never open.
I really looked closely at kate to find the message, and I found it only after
digging into the sources. I would assume that many users will not see it.

IMO this warning message is so important that the user needs to see it
(because it means that "Switch header" does not work, which at least to me is
essential in navigating between files).
I could change it from Warning to Error, then the tab will by default be
opened if the message is issued.
This may happen multiple times, e.g. also for each different language.
I could add a flag so that it is issued only once as error for every language,
and then as warning afterwards ?

Other ideas ?

Thanks
Alex