Kate SQL help: QMYSQL3 constant syntax errors

Rahul Singh singh-rahul at hotmail.com
Sun May 8 07:40:36 BST 2022

Greetings team,

At the outset I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for developing such a powerful yet
lightweight application like Kate, it truly is a work of art!

Given the powerful functionality of Kate, I am trying to use it as my front-end for my SQL
training. As a part of this, I’m required to connect to a remote MySQL server and execute
queries on a database. I am unable to do this, however, because of the following:

1) I connect to the MySQL server without a problem using the QMYSQL driver,
2) I execute ‘show databases;’ without a problem and am returned the databases on the server
that I created,
3) I try to execute ‘use db_name;’, but each and every time regardless of driver (I tried QMYSQL,
QMYSQL3, QIBASE, QMARIADB) I get returned the error “*You have an error in your SQL syntax;
check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
near ‘use db_name’ at line 2 QMYSQL3: Unable to prepare statement*”

I have checked online and I haven’t been able to find out why this error occurs; the only
resource describing such an error is specific to MythTV and other resources discuss other issues
unrelated to this one.

I’m sure I’m missing something relatively elementary, but any help with this would be greatly
appreciated, Kate is too much fun to be forced to use another SQL frontend!

System information:
EndeavourOS kernel 5.17.5-arch1-1 (hostnamectl)
KDE plasma version 5.24.5-1 (pacman -Q plasma-desktop)
Kate version 22.04.0-1 (pacman -Q kate)
Mariadb version 10.7.3-1 (pacman -Q mysql returns mariadb(?))

PS: I read on https://kate-editor.org/support/[1] that I should request to be CC’d in answers in
case I’m not subscribed. I would like to request that I be CC’d in answers. :)
--
Best regards,
*Rahul Singh*

--------