Auto-save

Stefan Riha stefan at sriha.net
Thu Mar 17 11:19:14 GMT 2022

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I have been trying Sven Brauch's suggestion

qdbus org.kde.kate-$(pidof kate) /kate/MainWindow_1/actions/file_save_all trigger

and it seems to work!

You suggested to save perdiodically every x seconds and I can write a bash script to run the qdbus command every x seconds.

I'm curious, would it be possible/advantageous to monitor for changed files and selectively save only those? So make it event-driven instead of periodic, i.e. wait for the creation of a *.kate-swp file and then trigger a file save on that file?

The reason I'm asking is because I have open files which are build artifacts (output from a cpp preprocessor or other files edited by processes other than kate). I don't know how to mark entire folders as read-only in kate, so what I currently do is

> chmod -R u+w /path/to/readonlyfolder

> command_which_modifies_files_in_readonlyfolder

> chmod -R u-w /path/to/readonlyfolder

So the files are in fact writeable by kate during a brief moment while the command runs. Ideally I would not run the save-all command during that time.

But I think I should first try the simplest solution and see if that problem actually arises in practice. I'll get back later when it does.

Thanks again for your help!