accumulating projects in kate lead to excessive kate startup time due to git

Christoph Cullmann (cullmann.io) christoph at cullmann.io
Wed Jun 22 19:29:33 BST 2022

On 2022-06-22 17:42, Milian Wolff wrote:
> On Montag, 20. Juni 2022 22:59:04 CEST Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On Monday, 20 June 2022 13:39:15 PDT Milian Wolff wrote:
>> > What do I need to do to convince you to persue this patch further and
>> > bring
>> > vfork to QProcess? :) I'm pretty sure that this would help to reduce the
>> > pain of QProcess already to such a large degree that I would not look
>> > further into posix_spawn or other tricks like aspawn [1] which seems to be
>> > doing clone with CLONE_VM.
>>
>> You've just convinced me. I only need to clean up, add a few more
>> comments,
>> and the documentation. Oh, and test on FreeBSD, which is the other
>> platform
>> that has something similar to Linux's pidfd (pdfork).
>>
>> As mentioned in the previous email, this will go into Qt 6.4 and is
>> not a
>> candidate for backporting.
>
> Just to keep the kwrite audience in the loop:
>
> Thiago has now submitted a fix for the performance issue here:
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/417829
>
> I guess we'll have to live with the bad performance and wait for Qt 6
> which is
> somewhat close around the corner for Kate at least :)
>
> The good news is that this only really happens on machines with lots of
> cores,
> when Kate is using lots of projects. A patch for the latter is already
> on
> invent.kde.org, so let's leave it at that.
>
> Quite the interesting profiling story for sure, I learned a few things
> :)

Hi,

thanks to helping to get this improved.

I still think we spawn too many threads, too, but the API to limit
the concurrent run to our thread pool is Qt 6.x only, too.

Will alter this after we switch.

At work we use qt 6.x already (and we spawn a lot of processes),
I am happy to hear that this might be improved in 6.4!

Thanks to Thiago, too!